WatrHub is an award-wining data analytics startup that helps leading-edge water technology manufacturers discovery and engage with the cities and water utilities that need their life-saving water treatment technology. We do this by applying novel analysis and visualization techniques to data filtered down from terabytes of unstructured data drawn from all corners of the internet, helping these manufacturers pinpoint who needs their technology and when.
Our new Design Lead will develop customer-facing visualizations that translate our complex raw data into simplified forms that are relevant and highly usable for our clients. This is a complex design task that demands an interdisciplinary skillset, but grants a lot of creative autonomy. The ideal candidate, if given a set of raw water-related data, would be able to analyze it, design a data visualization to communicate the results of that analysis, and create that data visualization in both web and print form.
We believe design is integral to our success, so we offer competitive compensation, health and fitness benefits, training and a healthy bonus structure. In your cover letter or resume, please differentiate yourself and include a portfolio (however small or large) that includes design work that you are particularly proud of.
- A strong understanding of visual design principles and techniques
- A strong understanding of UX & Product design processes and principles (personas, wireframing, etc)
- Comfortable with solving design challenges while wearing multiple hats (research, user interviews, art direction, design execution)
- An inclination for working collaboratively across interdisciplinary teams (data, design, development)
- A desire to build a great user experience and an ability to understand and advocate for the end user
- Experience using the Adobe Creative Suite or their open source equivalents (Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign + other programs would be an asset)
You should have demonstrable experience in at least one of these areas:
- Working knowledge of data science principles and tools (R, Python, SQL, MongoDB, Hadoop)
- Experience using open source GIS tools (QGIS, PostGIS, etc) and integrating associated outputs and data with Adobe CS tools would be an asset
- Our culture is very design-centric and collaborative
- You will be contributing to projects that matter to our customers from Day One
- There is no bureaucracy here. You will accomplish more here in a few months than you would in a few years at a large technology company or design firm
- We believe design is as integral to our success as code, so we offer competitive compensation, a transportation stipend, health and fitness benefits, external training, work-from-wherever days, and a healthy bonus structure
- Freedom to make your own schedule including 'focus time' and a latest model MacBook Pro