Data Support Analyst
Canada and the United States need to rebuild their aging water infrastructure. This will cost $1 Trillion over the next 20 years to replace pipes, pumps, valves, treatment equipment and the software to run them all.
WatrHub is the only source of predictive market information on how, when, and why these water infrastructure investments will be made. Our AI engine transforms millions of public documents into actionable sales leads and market insights. Technology Vendors and Engineering Firms subscribe to WatrHub to secure their next water utility clients and bring their advanced, efficient technologies to our aging water infrastructure.
We are looking for a Data Support Analyst with a strong passion for completing data projects properly, including best practices on data quality, data management, and data analysis. Our team is challenged every day to sift through reams of data and key documents, proposals, plans and budgets relating to cites across the U.S. and Canada. We need to extract and understand the key narratives that are important to our clients, while still capturing the adjacent supporting metadata with impeccable attention to detail.
The position will be based out of our Toronto Headquarters in Liberty Village.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a strong command of data pipelining and processing, and knowledge of relational databases. They will be able to work independently for much of their time, but will also collaborate effectively with the wider team to seek input from the Product, Sales, Client Success and Engineering Teams on data that we need to add to our Data Roadmap. They will then work to clean and standardize data; build specs, schemas, and data ingestion tools and ensure timely and accurate uploads to our Data Warehouse. This includes providing insights into the causes of data issues, remedying inaccuracies, pointing out anomalies, creating dashboards and building custom reports. This role is primarily responsible for the quality and integrity of the data at WatrHub.
The interview process will include data tests that must be completed in order to be considered for this position.
What You Will Accomplish:
- Work with Data Analysts, Account Managers and our Product team to deliver reports and maintain data integrity and quality
- Research and collect data related to water systems around North America and perform proper data validation and QA checks
- Provide support for ongoing maintenance of WatrHub's data
- Use Data Processing Tools (from Excel to Trifacta to BigQuery/SQL) to maintain the integrity of incoming data, manage data flow and address issues
- Create and Record your Data Process to train others and track root causes of data issues
- Develop and deliver team presentations to discuss trends and insights from our data
- Undergraduate degree or certificate in Environmental Studies, Journalism, Information Studies, Statistics, Data Science, Market Research, Engineering or related fields.
- Conscientious attention to detail, exceptional project organization skills, complete accountability for your assigned data projects; and an impressive track record on previous projects
- Well-articulated in written form and able to present insights concisely and effectively
- Someone who seeks out challenging research, large volumes of reading/scanning, relishes the chance to work with large, noisy datasets
- Demonstrable Knowledge of SQL query fundamentals, and experience visualizing data or creating reports
- Advanced skills in (Vlookup, PivotTables, VBA, etc) Microsoft Excel and Intermediate Databasing Skills
- Understanding of Best Practices of Data Cleansing and Standardization
- Exposure to programming in a data-context and database design is a plus (mySQL, MongoDB)
- Effective Phone Etiquette/Client Professionalism
- Resourcefulness for finding information online
- A willingness to fail and find dead ends, but learn fast and make immediate adjustments
Training Provided to the Successful Candidate:
- Background on Water Industry Data
- Training on Excel and Data Tools (necessary functionality in order to complete your tasks successfully)
- Training on locating and extracting required datasets
- Accelerated exposure to Database and SQL best practices
- Understanding of the structure of municipal water systems
- We take hundreds of millions of unstructured documents and bring them to life using algorithms to find and extract the golden nuggets of insight buried inside an ocean of data
- You get to direct exposure to Artificial Intelligence, Data Science, Tech Entrepreneurship and Water Infrastructure Markets from our in-house subject matter experts and industry titans.
- We are building something critically needed, immediately useful, and proprietary from the ground-up. We live at the cross section of water, startup and data science. There is no other team like it in Toronto.
- We have a talented, diverse, award-winning team that likes to solve hard, challenging problems
- You get company-paid transportation, health & fitness benefits, a training budget and work-from-wherever days in addition to your competitive salary and incentive plan.
Application Deadline is May 3rd, 2019, but candidates will be selected for interviews on a rolling basis.