Full Stack Engineer
Canada and the United States have an aging water infrastructure. It will cost $1 Trillion over the next 20 years to replace pipes, pumps, valves, treatment equipment and the software to run them all.
WatrHub is the only source of predictive market information on how, when, and why these water infrastructure investments will be made. Our AI-enabled search engine transforms millions of public documents into actionable sales leads and market insights. Technology Vendors and Engineering Firms subscribe to WatrHub to secure their next water utility clients and bring their advanced, efficient technologies to our aging water infrastructure.
We sell disruptive products to one of the world's largest and most critical industries that has been set in its way for decades. The majority of large players in our industry rely on WatrHub for AI-powered Market Intelligence. Our data infrastructure uses sophisticated Machine Learning to digest data from millions of public documents into actionable market insights, which requires unique scaling challenges as the dataset grows exponentially.
We operate using a leading edge microservice architecture built using Node.js & Python. Our microservices are powered by various backend systems including: Cloud SQL, Elasticsearch, Redis, and RabbitMQ. Our systems are hosted on GCP (Google Cloud) using Kubernetes and Google Cloud Instances. We focus on automation and monitoring to ensure efficient operations at scale. We are consistently iterating and improving our systems and workflows with our minds set on delivering the best data possible to our users.
We are looking for Full Stack Engineer with strong design and development skills building both frontends and backends, with exposure to building large-scale cloud web services. Reporting to our Software Team Lead and working closely with Product Managers and developer peers, you will be presented with unique challenges where you can apply your ideas and explore new technologies. We are looking for someone brings a “do what needs to be done” attitude who has a sense of ownership and accountability. We expect you to be collaborative and a key contributor to our Sprint Planning and Backlog prioritization.
The ideal candidate has been through several end-to-end product development cycles with an aptitude for big data & scalable software.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone looking to take the next step in their career and learn how to build, maintain, evolve, and improve a system in a small startup environment. The buck stops with you. It’s a great chance to shine.
The position will be based out of our Toronto Headquarters.
What You Will Accomplish
- Design, implement, build and maintain our large and distributed, high availability microservices, internal tools, user interfaces, and deployment systems
- Create automated test and deployment strategies for our CI/CD pipeline
- Work closely with a cross-functional team including product managers, designers, client success managers, and research analysts to understand user needs requirements from our data infrastructure and develop solutions to improve product delivery and end-user experience.
- Live Outside The Box: You are empowered by Team Leaders to seek out and adapt the latest software technologies to develop the functionality that will improve our data infrastructure performance and product delivery quality.
Skills and Requirements
- Experience in several of the technologies we are using and the Linux stack (bash, git, package management, cloud, containers, etc.). You don’t need to be an expert in all of them. We are looking for someone who is already comfortable across various layers of the tech stack and eager to learn additional technologies as needed.
- You’re evidence-driven and data-driven. You make decisions because they have shown to be effective and they cater to the people you’re developing for.
- Be comfortable in a quickly changing environment, with a small team and a lot of responsibility.
- A passion for quality, an obsession with automation and a love for writing clean, effective code + docs
- Experience with Software Development Methodologies (e.g. unit testing, code reviews, design documentation) and Design Patterns
- You are a well-rounded programmer, with one or more areas of expertise and depth, and a passion for working throughout the tech stack
- You have a strong knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals including software design, algorithms, etc.
- You believe in keeping your tech stack current with the latest tools, libraries, frameworks, and trends in cloud technologies and Machine Learning advancements
- Degree in a Computer Science / Software Engineering field or equivalent practical experience.
- Ability to represent data in various forms to provide unique insights.
- This is a great opportunity to write code that can influence positive change within one of the largest societal challenges of our generation (water)
- We live at the cross section of water, startup and data science. There is no other team like it in Toronto.
- There is no corporate bureaucracy here. You will accomplish more here in a few months than what you would in a few years at a large, entrenched technology company.
- You get company-paid transportation, health & fitness benefits, a training budget and work-from-wherever days in addition to your competitive salary and incentive plan
- You get to direct exposure to Artificial Intelligence, Data Science, Tech Entrepreneurship and Water Infrastructure Markets from our in-house subject matter experts and industry titans
- We are on a mission to solve water. We enjoy happy-hour patios, team lunches exploring the food scene around our Liberty Village office, and rock-climbing together. We believe in diversity of culture, thought and approach and that makes us the best we can be!
Application Deadline is January 30, 2019, but candidates will be selected for interviews on a rolling basis.