Canada and the United States need to rebuild their aging water infrastructure. This will cost $1 Trillion over the next 20 years to replace pipes, pumps, valves, treatment equipment and the software to run them all.
WatrHub is the only source of predictive market information on how, when, and why these water infrastructure investments will be made. Our AI engine transforms millions of public documents into actionable sales leads and market insights. Technology Vendors and Engineering Firms subscribe to WatrHub to secure their next water utility clients and bring their advanced, efficient technologies to our aging water infrastructure.
We are looking for a Research Analyst with a strong passion for uncovering journalistic insights from reams of background materials and has experience pulling together the right highlights and summaries from a combination of data sources. Our Analysts are challenged everyday to sift through key documents, proposals, plans and budgets relating to cites across the U.S. and Canada. They need to extract and understand the key narratives that are important to our clients, while still capturing the adjacent supporting data with impeccable attention to detail. Their research findings serve as training sets for our machine-learning algorithms that not only enhance our search tools, that in turn help our Analysts find even more relevant subject matter.
The position will be based out of our Toronto Headquarters.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a strong command of investigative research methodologies, an understanding of data-driven best practices and a knowledge of data modelling and relational databases. They will be able to work independently for much of their time, but will come together with the wider team to share and present their findings and seek input from the Product, Sales, Client Success and Engineering Teams on other angles and data to uncover.
The interview process will include a skills test and literary review that must be completed in order to be considered for this position.
What You Will Accomplish:
• Deliver water infrastructure-related data & analytics that our clients need and answer any related follow-up questions that our clients may have regarding the source or consistency of the data.
• Deploy your proven research methodology to dig deep and parse through thousands of data sources relating to water facilities across North America
• Champion the integrity and coverage of our water data by identifying ways to streamline the data aggregation and automation processes
Create and document a repeatable and successful research process that will be incorporated in our search tools and client-facing platforms, having significant impact on how intelligence gets delivered within the water industry.
• Develop and deliver customer presentations to discuss market trends and insights
• Undergraduate or graduate degree in Environmental Studies, Journalism, Information Studies, Market Research, Engineering or similar.
• Conscientious attention to detail, exceptional project organization skills, complete accountability for your assigned research goals, capable of driving projects independently and an impressive track record on previous projects
• Noteworthy oral and written communication skills; well-articulated in written form and able to present insights concisely and effectively
• Passion for challenging research, large volumes of reading/scanning, working with large, noisy information sources and creating polished reports.
• Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel and exposure to data modelling and database design is a plus (mySQL, MongoDB)
• Multi-disciplinary knowledge of water treatment processes, regulations, programs, and topics in the water and wastewater industry across Canada and USA is a plus
• A willingness to fail and find dead ends, but learn fast and make immediate adjustments
• Prior experience in a water-related research role or as a data analyst in capital markets, energy or other industry is ideal, but not necessary
• We take tens of millions of unstructured documents and bring them to life using algorithms to find and extract the golden nuggets of insight buried inside an ocean of data
• You get to direct exposure to Artificial Intelligence, Data Science, Tech Entrepreneurship and Water Infrastructure Markets from our in-house subject matter experts and industry titans.
• We are building something critically needed, immediately useful, and proprietary from the ground-up. We live at the cross section of water, startup and data science. There is no other team like it in Toronto.
• We have a talented, diverse, award-winning team that likes to solve hard, challenging problems
• You get company-paid transportation, health & fitness benefits, a training budget and work-from-wherever days in addition to your competitive salary and incentive plan.
Application Deadline is July 31st, 2019, but candidates will be selected for interviews on a rolling basis.